Gander

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Power Ponies (with The Second Opinion)

Moviefan12: Hello & welcome back to Trotting Through Life. And today, we don the capes and costumes as we join ranks of superheroes as we look at the Power Ponies.  Honestly, I'm hoping after last time that nothing too out of the ordinary happens.



The Second Opinion: Well, funny you should mention that Moviefan, because my monthly comic book just arrived, and somehow, I find myself drawn to it. There's some kind of aura surrounding it, compelling me to read these words about how the true owner of this book is destined to enter it's very pages and partake in, no wait, this is my neighbor's order. Never mind. I'll take it over to him later.

Okay, today we have an episode about the six being transformed into superheroes, which has to be one of the better fan service ideas they've ever had for their older viewers. But it's also a Spike episode. What were my reactions to those again?  Well, I think I liked one of them...







Moviefan12:   To save time,  on this as we need to get the review going,  that's the common reaction to Spik episodes.As you can see, I've noticed that people have mixed reactions to Spike episodes.   Yeah,  okay that's a bit extreme but  let me blunt and say that I hate just about every Spike episode the series have given  us and  Owl's  Well That Ends Well is my most hated MLP episode and the first time, I tried to watch it,  it took me three days.  





Oh,  and before I forget,  let's do some set redecorating.  






Perfect.    Now, just don't touch anythin..  Ooh shiny red button.



The Second Opinion: Now wait a minute…!



WHOAAA!!!! 

The Plot

Huh. Well it looks like all that did was get the review started. I hope…

Twilight wakes up one night to find Spike reading a comic book about a team of six superhero ponies and their useless idiot sidekick who fight a villain with a taste for the show’s tendency to play on words called the Mane-iac. After an accident in a shampoo factory, she went completely insane, and her mane developed strange new powers, turning her into a pony version of Sedusa, though with a personality more like the Joker’s.










Twilight is actually sympathetic to the cause, as getting caught up in good books is practically her shtick, but the group volunteered to fix up the castle from episode 2 tomorrow, and they need to be well rested for the job. Still, she plays “cool parent” and gives the little guy two more minutes.


The next day, however, Spike is the odd man out, with no job left that demands his attention. Twilight suggests he finish his comic, as he was right at the part where this sidekick they keep building up for some reason named Humdrum was about to stop the villain. Spike groans that Humdrum never stops the villain, as he’s only there for comic relief. 








Nope, don’t get it.


But when Spike sets off to read his comic, he soon reaches a blank page with nothing but some shrunken words written on it. He reads them just as the others come to get him for their “tea and biscuits” break, and they tell him he can return to where he started when the Mane-iac is defeated. And then the comic proceeds to magically suck them all inside. How about that…











Moviefan12:   The ponies arrive  in  Gotham  City.   Oh wait, that's not right....


 




Zordon:  Rangers,  one of Rita's  monsters is attacking  Angel  Grove.    Wait a minute,  you aren't the Rangers.  But I guess you'll have to do.


Moviefan12:  Hmm well,  I guess fighting an evil monster won't be so hard after fighting my evil doppelganger.   I guess we will just  have to do the review as we fight.  Oh, looks  like  I found a morpher.  We won't let you down big floaty head thingy.  



  Moprhin'  Time





Moviefan12:     Something feels odd about this costume.   Why do I feel a draft?






OH COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I couldn't get Tommy's costume.  Fine.  Let's continue this review.   *punch*  *ya*   As I was saying,  Spike and the ponies arrive in Maretroplis, the setting  of his comic and we discover that the Mane Six have become the Power Ponies.  *kick* *ya*   




Spike  basically  explains that they have become superheroes,   that are basically the pony version of the Justice League and we see that the ponies are struggling with their new powers *punch*  *kick* *ya*   I actually  have a problem with this that we see their new powers are actually skills that they are good at back in Ponyville.   Seems  kinda  odd but  we will go over some more down the road and Spike realizes that he's  become Hum Drum,  the sidekick of the Power Ponies and disappointed  by this news.   *kick* *punch* *ya*    Why am I punching and kicking air?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?


 The Second Opinion: Come to think about it, was there really anything to the Rangers in costume besides the exaggerated kicks and punches? It’s all I remember looking forward to. Alright then, good luck with that. I’ll just slip into the back room and finish the review.














Zordon: You don’t understand. This review could be dangerous for you to continue unarmed with what seems to be stemming from it. There are dark forces at work here.


The Second Opinion: I can review faster when I’m not jumping up and down kicking things. It’s not my style. Pinkiefan seems up to the challenge, so just keep a security camera on me while I’m back there, and I’ll stay out of the way.

Alright then, looks like this is one of the rooms we never saw on the show. (I was wondering where they kept the holiday decorations from Alpha’s Magic Christmas.) Well, I suppose Moviefan’s not alone in his costume dilemma. Did you know that Trini, the Yellow Ranger, was actually a guy in the original Japanese show that Power Rangers got the Ranger footage from? It’s the reason why, unlike the pink suit, nothing is feminine about the yellow one. Anyway the review: The Mane-iac makes her entrance and begins hurling weighty objects at the six, so Spike tries to instruct them on how to use her powers. But they don’t get anywhere with this, as Pinkie Pie super speeds around without a care (though I would’ve thought that was more of a Rainbow Dash thing), Twilight finds herself unable to summon much of her horn’s new power (notice that she’s actually less powerful than she is in her normal state), Applejack accidentally ties herself to a street lamp with her psychically controlled super lasso, and finally, Rainbow Dash accidentally uses her weather control to summon a tornado that sucks up everyone except the Mane-iac and Applejack. In a nutshell, it’s every super power test run scene ever.
















How To Fight the Power Ponies

Rarity also gets nowhere with her ability to create things out of midair, a la Green Lantern, and Fluttershy, who has become a pony version of the Hulk, is not exactly prone to losing her temper. Spike almost manages to steal Mane-iac’s doomsday-powering device, but he trips over his comic foil cape, and she mocks him while she takes it back and departs. But Spike does finally teach Applejack to use her lasso, and she stops the tornado, freeing her friends. They resolve to defeat the Mane-iac, and Spike, dejected by his given character despite Twilight’s attempts to reassure him, leads them to the villain’s hideout. This kicks off one of those good old henchmen fights and…

Wait a minute, whose muffled footsteps are those behind me?

How the heck did I win that? That was some of the sloppiest fighting ever…

Moviefan! Rita Repulsa is using her magic to sic a league of super-powered Brony haters on us! (…Man, this reviewing business really does get surreal at points.) I admit it: Not taking advantage of a power morpher at my disposal is not the smartest thing I’ve ever done – though, just for the record, this wouldn’t have happened if you hadn’t zapped us all into this world to start with.

Morphin’ Time!






















Well, I guess that was the obvious choice. Or is someone trying to tell me something by giving me the nerd Ranger? Actually *kick*si-hiya* don’t answer that. You’re up, Moviefan! I left off at the attack on the Mane-iac’s hideout. *chop*ya*



Moviefan12:   Well, that does seem to be a problem but we've been through worse.    Can you at least get here before the monster grows.   And on that, tell Zordon not to worry about getting us a Megazord as I have had this baby in storage for some time.





 
















It  took  me five weeks to get this thing built but I thought we might need a Megazord for a situation like this.  Though, I'm not so sure that the two of us can man it by ourselves.  I'll call on some help for that later.   Anyways back to the review.  So,  the Power Ponies have attacked on the Mane-iac's  hide out but  they are no match for her as she uses her hairspray ray of doom  to stop them but leaves Hum Drum behind because she considers it pointless to take the sidekick.   Spike sneaks through the air ducts, all  the while calling himself useless.  All the while,  The Mane-iac  reveals her evil  plan to the Power Ponies as she plans to  the electro orb to power  hair-dryer  cannon t cause the manes of the citizens of Mare-troplis  to grow wildly.   











And that nopony can stop her.  At this,  Fluttershy mentions  Hum Drum  and  Mane-iac  again laughs  him off as useless.  















Well well, Pink Ranger,  looks like the damsel in distress is all alone.  Should be easy to attack you?


Moviefan12: Two things, I'm a dude and Kimberly could kick butt.  Ah, here's  the weapon.  








Also, is it just me or am I not on the same set as that ugly monster.   But seriously,  could you get here?



 The Second Opinion: Alright, alright, I’ll be there just as soon as I figure out how to get there… wait, you spent five weeks building THAT, “just in case!?!”














Zordon: I can reactivate the teleporter and get you there soon. I wasn’t expecting you to come around.


Well, I had an unexpected source of inspiration. In the meantime let’s make some progress on this review.

Twilight comes back at the Mane-iac by telling her, in their world, Spike, er, Humdrum always comes through when they need him. This moves and inspires Spike to leap into action, making use of a conveniently placed giant tarp, along with some hooks, chains, and pulleys. While the Mane-iac monologues about their triumph, adding that she deserves most of the credit for defeating the Power Ponies in a statement I’m not sure the comedic writers realized was pretty much true, the crafty dragon successfully sets up his trap, using a giant crate as a counterweight. And not only does he ensnare half the henchmen in his net, he kicks *si-hiya* the one maintaining the paralyzing hair spray off his balcony, freeing his six friends.















Ta dadada ta daaa! Payoff power!

The others break free and take full control of their powers to tear through the henchmen, with Twilight even summoning enough ice to slip up a few. Spike, however, notices that Fluttershy is attempting to back out, on account of the fact that nothing is making her mad. The Mane-iac decides to discreetly take advantage of this and turns her hairdryer gun on the little pony. But then a firefly flies in front of her scope and… actually I want to see Moviefan’s take on what happens next. In fact, it looks like I’m out of time anyway.




























Zordon: Good luck, and may the power protect you. I can only hope it’s enough…

Looks like I’m not a moment too soon…















By the way, weak and tiny boy in pink, do you know what we’ll do once we wipe out you fools who take the time to write positive reviews for this show? Rewrite them all with enough hate to flood the internet, starting with your little blog here! Then we’ll wipe out the few who dare rise in dissent one by one! You and the disgrace you provide to manhood will be gone forever!


Sigh, I remember watching fights like these all the time not nine months ago (minus the punching and kicking), when I didn’t care who won, and it was just entertaining to watch the rage fly. I even started my own series on the topic assuming I’d be filling the same role as that super-powered troll monster a lot more than I actually did. I’m sort of tempted to sit back and watch this play out, just for old times’ sake...


Aw, heck with it. Power lance!












































Ahhhhh!


You know, at least I watched the damn show before I gave myself a pass to flame anything. You’ve got an open shot, Pink ranger!


 Moviefan12:  Could you not call me that?  Anyways, let  me get my power bow  ready.   I feel like Katniss Everdeen.  Did I say that out loud?




  






How will you be able to stop me, when there is two of me?  Now, this'll  make it easier to destroy you, little girl.
















Moviefan12: I AM A GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just because I am wearing the Pink Ranger's uniform, that does NOT make me a WOMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And furthermore just because I'm a gentlemen, that does not mean I cannot enjoy this show.  I just want to get this done and over with.  *Shoots arrow, shi-ya*.   Blue Ranger, you just wanna use the Megazord to get this done and over with. I know it goes against the Ranger's code to use it before the monster has grown btu this guy is ticking me off and I just want to get out of here and go back home. *shoots another arrow*   


Anyways back to the review.   Seeing the firefly  hurt,  finally causes  Fluttershy to lose her temper and finally  use her powers and the Mane-iac  tries to use her beam on  Flutters but it doesn't work as she just  tears  the machine  apart.  


 





Anyways,   Blue Ranger, what do ya say?   You just wanna use the Zord  to get rid of this idiot.   Meet me in it,  and  I'll think we can teleport some other reviewers here to help us out.  I've got Dustie and Les on standby. 






















The Second Opinion: In that megazord?


Y’know, I think I prefer combat on the ground. I’m sure there are fans more qualified than me to drive a My Little Zord, so just go ahead and fire it up without me. *Hiya*



  

 Sorry, you’re outnumbered now. RAARRRRRR!!!!!!














AHHH!!!




Hold him down! Stop fighting us! We’re not your enemies here.




Say what?




You said so yourself. You have no intention of becoming a “Brony.” Why areyou helping them?




Hey, a good critic is impartial. Plenty of shows are enjoyable, and they all should get credit for it.




Sure, sure, but then why are you still here after all this time? Haven’t you grown a little too comfortable around them to claim you’re still just a critic? Admit it! Your little project has grown into something else.




Um...




You may say you’re only reviewing, but just look at yourself! Adding pictures and fan-made videos… why, your little review here is barely even about the episode anymore! Right now, you’re a Humdrum yourself, and there’s only two ways that can go: Either you’ll have to give in eventually and become the full-blown Brony geek you never wanted to be, or they’ll all get sick of your act and drop you for the next real fanboy who can fill your shoes.




Hey now, we’re all friends and everything…




A show in its place is harmless enough, but geekdom is a plague that turns it into something else. Don’t be infected. Help us burn it clean away while your head is still above water. There’s no other way to sever your ties. Walk away a critic who wrote a positive review and moved on to the next subject like he was supposed to.




…You’re right. It’s gone farther than I meant it to. I’ve started looking forward to talking about the episodes and what I’d like to see them try. I’ve even called upon Applejack’s advice about not sweating the small stuff in times of need. And it's true, I don’t want this to become my trademark passion.




Yes! You’ve chosen well.




Wait, that wasn’t the whole monologue: But maybe that’s not so bad. I mean, doesn’t everyone connect over stuff they only like? Sometimes? If everything was either loathed, loved, or 50/50, why would critics even exist? Heck, I dare you to try and find a more informed, non-fan review of Equestria Girls than mine, and that was only possible from the perspective I have now. I guess what I’m saying is, this episode was right. The Humdrums, no, the Spikes are important too. (Hey, maybe that’s why I’m always rooting for the little guy…)




Then stand by them and die!




So here’s a little trick I got from Twilight Sparkle. You should’ve kept me pinned down…
































 AHHH!!! You hit me you fool!

















Me? You let him escape!




That’s right, teleporting out of the way. (You’d think the rangers would’ve found a use for their ability to do that once or twice.) Well, if I let it get geeky sometimes, that’s only because I am a little bit of a geek. Alright Pink, er, Pterodactyl ranger, I think I'm warming up to this Ponyzord. Let’s fry ‘em up faster than Fluttershy wrapped the Mane-iac in her own mane!



 Moviefan12:  Excellent get in.  We should  be able to take down this monster,  no problem  now that we are in here.  

















You think you can take me down with that machine.  Pathetic,  how about I show what  I can really do?




















Moviefan12:  We just lost the Fluttershy  leg.  I should've mentioned that this Zord has never been tested before.   But  we must keep going.  Because we most certainly do not want this to be our fate.   Check  that blue button, there.  There should be a sword that you can use.   I need you to focus on that monster,  I've got an idea.


     Power Down


 


The Second Opinion: Wait a second! I never said I could...

Argh, too late. Alright, let's give this thing a try.


















Hahahaha! I'm just getting warmed up.
















Whoa! That might be too much damage...

Ha! Still proud standing by those sissy friends of yours in that rediculous excuse for a robot?

C'mon, I can block this. Left arm Rarity, sword arm Applejack... Generosity!



































Alright now, honesty!
































ARGH!!!

Yes! And for the record, I'd rather have a Brony on my team than a troll any day! At very least, it takes guts to own what you like, especially in the face of douche bags like you, always trying to cut people down to your size!















Moviefan12:  Hey,  monster over here.  I found a new Power Coin.    This time, taking you down will be be a breeze.


 Morphin'  Time















Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, I'm the White Ranger.  This is so Cool!!!! Sorry,  Second Opinion but  I had to leave you because I knew that this could give us a better shot and  I have one more surprise.  



 











*Ya*  *Jump*  *Ya*   Anyways,  monster you look at my fandom as a bad thing.  Something to be mocked but that is where you are wrong,  my fandom gives me strength.  Whether it comes from being a  Brony,  a fan of Disney,  a  Gleek,  a Oncer,   an Adult Fan  of Lego, etc..  etc..   All of these fandoms have provided  me with great joy and YOU WILL NEVER TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I  think it's time, the Tigerzord entered Warrior Mode.




















The Second Opinion: Yeah, what he said! I think my own well's pretty much dry... Hey Zordon, when we defeat the monster, does he turn back into a random internet troll or, wait, darn it, that last blast took out the communications. We pretty much finished the review, but this is still going, so maybe the endings need to coincide...

Oh, am I supposed to do something? Some kind of Zord fusion? Wait, what am I saying? The White Ranger's here! I just have to sit back and enjoy the show. Wonder what this button does.




















Moviefan12:  It  appears  that you've entered   into Super Mega PonyZord Mode.   It gives you Alicorn Power.  In short,  you have the power of Celestia, Luna, and Cadance at your disposal.  That should be enough to finish him off but to help you,  I'll  take a shot.   White Tiger Thunderbolts attack.















You  fool,  you think that will stop me.


No, but it did weaken you.  And that was my intent, Blue Ranger, your up. Take him down. 



The Second Opinion: Oh, uh, yeah, that was exactly my plan!

But even so, I'm not sure. Since this monster is really just a guy made to fill the role by the red button, destroying him is a decision of difficult ethics that demands consideration. Wait, it's Power Rangers. Never mind. Alicorn Power set...










Fire!



































AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Once again, the day is saved by...





























Zordon: Well done, honorary Power Rangers. May you always stand tall against the monsters of any world.

Hey, were back! So I guess I'll never figure out why that monster seemed so familiar. Ah well, I've had enough excitement for one day. Well, great adventuring with you Moviefan, lengthy fan homages and all. How about we bring it home with the summary portion?


 Moviefan12:  Fine,  but I am staying in the White Ranger costume until we leave this world.  Anyways back to the review, the Mane-iac  is trapped in her own device and Spike declares the Power Ponies victorious and at that moment, they are transported back to Equestira and out of the comic book and back into the reading room of the old castle of the Royal Sisters. Twilight, then asks Spike, where  he got the comic and he tells her that he got it from an enchanted comic book store in Canterlot, he thought that meant the stories were enchanting and not that the comic was enchanted.  All i all,  I must be honest and say that is in my opinion, the best Spike episode of the series as it treats Spike with respect and it goes to great lengths to show that he is a member of this team and that he is viewed as an equal by the Mane Six despite his young age.   This was one of the few Spike episodes that didn't make Spike look a fool.




The Second Opinion: Come to think of it, why wouldn’t someone assume the same as Spike about “The House of Enchanted Comics?” In fact, why are all you ponies trying to play it as a punchline? Shouldn’t Princess Twilight be launching a full scale investigation of the place selling a potentially life-threatening product? No?

Anyway, this episode is essential novelty for any fan, and there’s definitely fun to be had with it. Still, in a scenario with boundless potential in the action and animation alone, it’s definitely guilty of being humdrum itself at points. Until the third act with Spike’s big save, it’s almost going through the motions, such as how the first scene with the Mane-iac repeats the same backfiring powers bit with all six power ponies, adding no variety to the results or the tone of the delivery. But in the end, it does amount to a decent and rewarding chapter.









Characters


Spike voiced by Cathy Weseluck









Moviefan12: As I said up top, this was the best Spike episode as it finally gave the little dragon, a chance to shine and be the hero.  Now, you could argue that the season 3 opener did that as well.  And while that is true, that 2-parter was Twilight's story and it was only the last few minutes of that story where Spike got to be the hero.  In this one, it was actually kinda nice to see Spike struggle with his sidekick status as it reflected something many fans feel that the writers don't treat Spike with the same level of respect as they hold for the Mane Six and with most of the Spike episodes that have come before this one, I'd agree.  




The Second Opinion: And so would I. The show has given Spike his moments before, but this is the first episode to put a challenge in front of him (one that wasn’t caused by him in the first place, at least), ask the question of whether he is truly worthy of it, and conclude that, yes, he is. He’s an enjoyable presence here, playing a combination of coach, beleaguered sidekick, and underdog hero, and his big moment at the end is one to cheer for. And I did just spend an entire scene establishing that it’s easy for me to identify with him, without even realizing it sometimes…





Twilight Sparkle,  Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack,   Rainbow Dash,   & Pinkie  Pie  voiced by Tara Strong, Tabita St.  Germain,  & Andrea Libman

















Moviefan12:  Now  for a brief rundown,   Applejack is Wonder Woman,  Rainbow Dash  is Storm,   Fluttetshy is  The Incredible Hulk,   Rarity  is Star Sapphire,  Pinkie  Pie is The Flash and  I think Twilight is supposed be  Iceman  from  X-Men.   Honestly,  watching the girls  as superheroes was fun but as I mentioned before the monster attacked,  I feel like  it was a little odd that they had troubles with their powers as they seemed reminiscent of their powers and skills  back  in  Equestira.  Now,  in some regards, you could argue that  they were less powerful  in this episode to show that Spike  can be the hero.





The Second Opinion: The best superhero design here – with the most memorable name – has to be Pinkie Pie’s Fili-Second, whose design and perpetual movement make her seem loaded with super energy, to the point where no space seems big enough to contain her. (It’s a shame they pretty much limit her to running around and tapping the bad guys on the shoulder.) The rest, save for Fluttershy, are essentially the same as before with a cool gadget or two on hand. Still, their action scenes are enjoyable for what they are, and I did like seeing them improve with their powers as the episode progressed. And the sheer novelty of Fluttershy’s moment at the end makes it a pleasure.





Villain 


The  Mane-iac  voiced  by  Ellen  Kennedy










Moviefan12:  The Mane-iac was just a fun villain and one that I would greatly rank  up there with other great FIM villains.  She was a combo of  Doc Ock and The Joker and it was just a lotta fun to watch.



The Second Opinion: This is a perfect example of what I mean when I say this episode underperformed. The Mane-iac is a great looney creation for this show, and what are her most memorable moments? Using her mane as a recliner, making fun of Spike a lot, and getting taken down by Fluttershy at the end. You’d think with all the off-the-wall fun they think up for Discord to spin, they could have done a little better here. Couldn’t they come up with any tricks for her besides throwing mailboxes and spraying “evil” hairspray?





Our Final  Thoughts


Moviefan12:  While  not one of my favorite episodes,  this was my favorite Spike episode because  it treated him with respect and showed him as an equal.  This is the step in the right direction for Spike episodes.


*Your  Thoughts Here*


Moviefan12:  Uh,  Zordon,  how do we do get out of here?   


  












 Zordon:  Just press the button that brought you here.


Moviefan12:  All right, we're back and sweet,  I'm still in the White Ranger outfit.  Nice, saving this for future fights.  


   











The Second Opinion: Is it Spike’s best? Well, with Just for Sidekicks as the only competitor in my line of sight, quite possibly, yeah. Both gave Spike a good arc, but I do appreciate him rising to save the day here more than just learning his lesson in Sidekicks, and the superhero novelty probably beats Sidekicks’ use of the rarely seen pets. So yes, while I’d only call it decent when it could have been good, that’s enough to take the crown. Oh wait, Spike also technically costarred in A Dog and Pony Show. Hm…

The Second Opinion: Keeping it for future fights? Anything else I should know about this reviewing buisness? Aw heck, never mind. Keep mine charged if it turns up and call if you need a hand. I’ll be happy to back up my favorite fan club (as long as I don’t have to wear the pink ranger suit). In the meantime, I’m going home for a looooong rest. 'Till next time!









Join use next time as we look at Bats 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment