Gander

Friday, May 16, 2014

Top 12 Songs of Season 4







Hello  & welcome back to Trotting Through Life.  Well, season 4 has come to a close and we lost Golden Oaks Library but Princess Twilight got a castle instead after her ensuing battler with Tierk, that was all KINDS OF AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   But seeing as I'm still reviewing season 4,  I didn't want to do a Top Episode List.  I want to save that for when, The Second Opinion and I finish, so we can both list our favorites.  However,  I've decided to countdown my Top 10  Songs of Season 4.   Now fair warning,  my favorite song from season 4 is from my favorite episode of season 4 and this episode may even be one of my all time favorite MLP episodes.With that out of the way, let's begin. 


12.  Apples To The Core  -  Pinkie  Apple  Pie













I really wanted to leave this one off the list as I find it a tad overrated.  For some reason, this song has reached Winter Wrap Up popularity in the Brony community and I don't get why.  It's  not a bad song and out of the Applejack songs, it's probably the best one yet.  Bats was okay and Raise This Barn is godawful. Raise This Barn  is easily the worst MLP song that was meant to be good.  This one, it's okay.  That's  about the best praise, I can muster up for this little ditty.  It  kinda  reminds me of The Smile Song,   and  Becoming Popular in  how those two songs are essentially anthems  for their characters and  the same is true  of Apples To The Core,   however not only  does this song reflect AJ,  it reflects all of The Apple family in how they are tight knit family that will always be by each others' side and Apple Bloom  has such an adorable little singing voice.   Trust me,  it takes a lot for me to say something  nice  about  Applejack as I detest her.  She is in my opinion, the worst Mane 6 character.  But this song  does show that I can say some nice things about the cowpony.  Just not too many.  


11.  Glass of Water  - Three's A Crowd












Yeah, there was no way that this song was getting left off the list.   This and  # 9 are just so much fun that you can't  leave them off a list like this.  Now I know some fans might not be happy that this is only  but  I tend  to prefer more emotional and sentimental songs. I love fun songs though and there are a lot  of fun  MLP songs and this list will show that.     John  de Lancie  did the singing for Discord  here and he did a fantastic job  and in many respects,  this song is  Pony's   Friend Like Me.    Discord  is very  Genie-esque with all of the references from Star Wars to Harry Potter to Aladdin to  Alice's  Place (I'm pretty  sure that's what the diner was referencing).    This is how you do MLP references  right.    Also     Twilight  colored Cadance  is adorable.    Why  is there   not  a toy  of that?     Also, it gives  me an idea for an alternate  universe  fanfic where Twily was Cadance's  foal-sitter  and wondering  what  that would be like, if the ages were swapped.    Probably, wouldn't be very good.   Back on topic, this song is just a lot of fun to listen to.


10.  The Rappin'   Hist'ry   of  The Wonderbolts    -   Testing  Testing  1,2,3   















Pinkie  Pie rapping!      That   alone should speak for the awesomeness of this number.   Add  in that it's  done in the  style  of a '90s  music  video,  so far as changing  the ratio aspect to look like something, you'd see on Mtv  back in the day, you have one of the funniest things ever.  I couldn't but to laugh when I heard this the first time, it is just so hilarious.   And that is what makes it work so well.  This  song is just  a lot of fun to listen to and the nods to the '90s are a great touch here as well.


9. The Goof  Off -  Pinkie  Pride













Pinkie  Pie  Vs.  Weird Al to see who's funnier.   How  can you go wrong with Weird Al and Pinkie Pie?   And add in that Weird Al sings a part of Pinkie's  Smile Song.  Oh,   my goodness.   This  is glorious.  This is just so much fun  and so silly and over the top, that it had to make this list.   This isn't the only  song from Pinkie  Pride on the list btw, as that episode was a musical  and perhaps an even better musical than Magical Mystery Cure.   This  song  is just  a blast to listen to and  what amazes is that this sounds so much like  one of Weird Al's songs, yet he didn't write a single song for this episode.  


8.   Make  A Wish  -   Pinkie  Pride 













The  only  thing better than Pinkie Pie Vs. Weird Al  is  the two of them coming together in sweet sweet harmony to a perfect song to close Pinkie Pride.  I swear when I first heard this song,  it reminded  me This  Is Our  Big Night from Equestira Girls and that's  not a bad thing.   I guess my only complaint  is that it's too short.  However, an extended version of the song was released on the 2nd MLP soundtrack.  Here ya go.    This  is just as good as the version  heard in the show and this is one of the few times,  I like an extended version of a song.  They did a great job of expanding upon what was already there.  And  man, I cannot wait to purchase this soundtrack.   My  Pony Playlist  is about to get even longer.  


7.  Let The Rainbow  Remind  You  -  Twilight's  Kingdom  Pt.  2













If there were a song that sums up season 4,  it's  Let The Rainbow Remind You.  This  song perfectly  brings the Rainbow  Arc to a beautiful close as we get to see Coco Pommel,  Chesse Sandwich (YAY!),  The Breezies, The Wonderbolts, and that pony,  from AJ's  key episode one more time as we see a rainbow go through all of Equestira.  Y'know, that kinda reminds of Dashie's  Sonic Rainboom and how that connected the Mane 6, even before they met.  Here we have all of these characters that are connected through the Mane 6 in that each one of them helped the Mane 6 learn a lesson and in turn, they too learned something.  Also,  while  not as good,  this is kinda like season 4's  True True Friend.  They both  have the same message of how, so long as the girls stick together, there is nothing they cannot accomplish.


6.  Pinkie's  Lament - Pinkie  Pride 












This song  has some of the best animation,  I've ever seen on the show.  Specifically,  when  Pinkie  is on her deck.   The animation is just gorgeous  and this is just a great pick-me-up  song as Pinkie  starts  out feeling deflated but  she is not going to take Cheese Sandwich's arrival laying down.  This  song  is a beautiful  reflection of who Pinkie is.  It  is a very cute number as Pinkie realizes that she is meant to be the party  pony that she's always been.

5. Find  The Music  In You  - Filli  Vanilli













Admittedly,  all this episode was just this song and we saw the return of Flutterguy with this song and it was a lot of fun to hear.   Substance wise, there isn't  too much to this song but I love hearing Fluttershy enjoying herself so much as she sings for Big Mac and I'm even more partial to the reprise at the end, when my girly  gets to sing with her own voice.  She brings a level of sweetness to this song, that can't be denied. 



4.   Pinkie The Party Planner  - Pinkie  Pride













Admittedly,  I'm a bit biased as this song is a clear homage to Belle (Little Town) from Beauty and The Beast and anything that pays tribute to one of the greatest  Disney songs ever is a okay in my book.  This  is  such a great song  as it captures  both who Pinkie is and why Ponyville  loves her so much.  And as   much  I don't want to admit,  Diamond Tiara  has a decent singing voice here.   And  going  back to it's  inspiration, this song wouldn't feel out of place on a Disney soundtrack.   This is a very Disney esque  song and  it  is a wonderful tribute to the styling  of Alan Menken and Howard Ashman.  Ooh,  idea!!!  Get Alan Menken  to work with Daniel Ingram  on a song for season 5.  Someone make this happen.  That would be the greatest thing ever!!!!!!!!








3.   Hearts As Strong As Horses  -  Flight To The Finish













This  IS  the true Cutie Mark Crusader Anthem.  This  song sums  up why these little fillies are some of the best child characters on TV.  It's  because of their determination and never give up attitude.  These three girls  are tough and brave and do whatever it takes to get the  job done.   They won't give up or give in.  These  fillies are some bravest  characters on the show and this song shows that.  


2.  You'll Play  Your  Part - Twilight's  Kingdom Pt.  1














This is  such  a great song as Twilight questions  her status as a princess and  the other three are there to comfort  her and tell her,  that she  will in time,  know what she is meant to be.  The uncertainty  is scary and real.  And thank you for finally addressing Twilight's status as a princess  and making it important to the plot.   I find this song  from Twilight's  perspective to be rather sad and heartbreaking  and oh, gosh,  we get to hear Luna sing.  That is so cool and  I like  how  she uses her past  to help Twilight under and hee, Cadance is singing















Yeah,  I  had kinda sorta, maybe  geeked out at hearing my favorite princess  sing again.  What, I like Cadnace!   This  has been firmly established.   And also,  the way the three princesses sing in harmony is just really pretty  and this makes for one of the best songs from the show.   


1.  Generosity - Rarity Takes Manehattan













My  favorite song from my favorite episode of season 4  is Generosity.  This  song  has easily unseated both  The Art of The Dress and  Becoming Popular as the quintessential Miss Rarity song.   This  is the best Miss Rarity song, out of her three songs as it perfectly  captures  who Rarity is and why I love her so much.  She  is a very giving soul that  wants to help and this song highlights the best qualities of Miss Rarity.  And reminds me why she is the second Best Pony  on the show (sorry, Pinkie. You lost that right after Filli Vanilli)   This song is who Miss Rarity is.   A caring and thoughtful soul with big ambition.   Any Miss Rarity detractors that want to say that fashion loving pony only cares about herself,  should listen to this song.   I can't  believe that  I'm about to say this  but I think this song is better than At The Gala.  Which was my favorite Pony song but I dunno know,  Generosity  is giving At The Gala, a good run for it's money as the best MLP song of all time.  Yes,  of all time.  I  said  that and I do not make that statement lightly.    Out of all the character anthems  on the show, this is the best character anthem.


There you have it,  my Top 12  MLP Songs of season 4.  I hope that you've enjoyed this list and if you enjoyed season 4, what were your favorite songs  from this season?  Let me know in the comments.  

No comments:

Post a Comment