Gander

Monday, February 10, 2014

Trotting For Love: Neigh Anything (My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic IDW Issue # 11)



Hello & welcome back to Trotting For Love.  And I promised you that we would get back to Cadance and that is technically tomorrow.  Grr,  I'm more upset by this then you guys are.  I just want Cadie.   When can I get my princess.  Sorry but I love Cadance.  Ah well.  Tomorrow,  she'll be back.   Today, we are heading back to the world of the MLP IDW comic books and for the first time, we are taking a look at the mane series as I review the fourth arc from mane series, Neigh Anything. This is the fourth arc from the mane series and just like Cutie Mark Chronicles, this is a prequel story set before the events of the show proper.  With that out of the way, let's get this review started.


Covers


Cover A


I really like this cover with the yearbook look.  Nice callback with Cheerilee having her '80s look. Wait, did Cheerilee live in Canterlot as a teenager?















Hmm.  Also, I swear Shiny's outfit makes me think of John Cusack.  Though, I think that intentional.   Also, ten points for whoever finds Soarin'


Cover B




















D'aww, filly Twilight is adorable and ... that's about has this cover has going for it.  I mean, I love seeing young Cadance as well and I wonder what they're up to, but Cover A has so much more life in it. Don't get me wrong, it's cute but that isn't enough.



Staff


Writer

Katie Cook


Ah, Katie Cook,  excellent.  She wrote the first MLP arc that featured the Mane Six facing off against Chrissy and well, she can do action pretty well and also, an awkward love story between two teens quite well too as we will see with this comic

 

 Artist

Andy Price
 

And also returning with Cook, is the artist that many MLP fans love to copy for their comics and with good reason, Andy Price.  Andy Price has been heralded as the best MLP comic artist and it's not hard to see why.  Just look at what he does with the panels on this page.




















He made the panels, pencils and textbooks.  That is clever.   And the shading on Shining Armor, when he is knocked over is priceless.  An even better example of talent at hand here, look at this splash page where a certain future DJ gets her Cutie Mark.













Just take in everything that you see before you.    Sure, it's bust but the page is m



Colorist


Heather Breckel


Heather did a fine job coloring as with like most of  the comics,  it truly captures the feel the of the show.


Letterer

Neil Uyetake


The lettering was handled well in this comic too but there really isn't too much to mention here as like with the AJ comic, the lettering really doesn't stand out.


Editor


Bobby Curnow



The editing was handled rather well as the story flowed nicely as  the transitions were pretty smooth.



The Plot 


We begin our story with the Mane Six and our couple having lunch at a fancy restaurant in Canterlot.  Shining Armor mentions that their wedding anniversary is coming up, which leads Fluttershy to ask the couple, how they met.  Twilight Sparkle interjects that it was because Cadance foal-sat her but the lovebirds admit that there was more it then that as they both went to Canterlot High. Wait, a minute, Canterlot High, why does that sound so familiar?












 Oh right but no, it couldn't be, could it?  Nah!  (whispers from Magic Dust) : And it turns out, it's actually, Canterlot Academy.  Hey, that's still pretty close to Canterlot High.   Getting back to the comic, we see Shining Armor bumped into the princess and fell head over hooves in love with her.














Of course, he had some help as the school bully, tripped him over.   Shining Armor is immediately smitten with her.  Later that night, Shining Armor and pals are playing a tabletop RPG in  I think his basement.  Ah, so Shining was a nerd. I can see that.  But Shining is too distracted by the mare from the hallway to focus on her as he vows to marry her and live in a crystal palace.  How did he know, he was going to live in The Crystal Empire after he got married. Seeing how smitten, he is with Cadance and that he won't give up, his friends are determined to help him win her over.






















His friends decide to rally around their leader and help Twilight win the crown.














 Oh, sorry, this isn't Equestira Girls and I should've mentioned that Shining's friends are Gaffer, 8-Bit, and Poindexter.  In the first trial,  Shining just has to talk to Cadance. And they do this by getting Cadance to come and foal-sit, Twilight as one of his friends saw her flyer as Twilight's Filly School (wait, they separate schools by gender at such a young age, what about magic kindergarten?)









Getting back to the issue at hand,  we see that night, that things go as smoothly as you might expect and Twilight has one of the best lines in this panel.














And Twilight was right,  just look...





















Can't blame the guy because if the girl of my dreams were in front of me and said my name, I'd faint...  Oh Carrie...


















Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,  I was saying something about Shining Armor, right? Right,  the first trial as it were goes over as best it could for Shining Armor.  The second trial is to boost his popularity at school and in order to do this at the pep rally and parade before the Fall Formal at the high school, wait a minute, a fall formal?














This comic sure has a lot in common with Equestira Girls.   Anyways, in order to boost the popularity of Shining, he and his friends rip a page from Revenge of The Nerds and steal a hat from Devo as they preform a ponified version of the song, Little Girls by Oingo Boingo. (I didn't know what this song was until I researched the references).  And after listening to it, they included this in a My Little Pony comic book.  Uh....














Yeah, that says more then I could.    Here's that splash page and to wash out that odd thought, look Vinyl got her Cutie Mark.  Wait, what is she doing out this late, shouldn't be in bed?   She's with her mom, so I guess it's fine.

















And did Shining raid Prince's closet for that outfit.  Makes one wonder what Prince as a pony would look like.  Alas, this blows up in Shining's face as while people are talking about.  And anyone who grew up in the '80s, could you let me know who Poindexter is supposed to be, that'd be great thanks.   As I was saying, this blows up in Shining's face as the school is calling him a dork and a loser and everything else to make the guy feel down and blue.














Poor guy, just wait a few year because nerds will rule the world.   And I'm sorry but I know that the comic is trying to sell  Shining Armor as a nerd,  but I just have a hard time buying it.  I mean, I have an easier time buy Cadance as the nerdy type and that is part because of the awesome Tumblr, Ask High School Cadance, where the roles are pretty much reversed from this comic.  Cadance is a nerd and outcast because of her princess status and Shining Armor is the popular jock.  That just feels more believable to me. 














Nerdy Cadance is cute.   In light of the failure of their second plan, Gaffer reworks the third trial to make Buck Withers, the bully look like a loser out on the field during the school's big polo game and even with an exploding mallet, this backfires on them.




















 According to Twilight, when her dad tells the story, a gopher is involved, why does that feel like a Caddyshack reference?   With this backfiring on them,  Buck is able to get to Cadance and ask her to the Fall Formal, so that she can defeat Sunset Shimmer and retrieve the Element of Magic. Oh right,  I'm not reviewing Equestira Girls, silly me. Cadance gets the joy of her friends saying yes for her for her big night. 



















Okay, small aside but I always HATE IT, when characters do this.  It is so rude, let my Cadie speak for herself.  Cadie is a lot smarter then you two bimbettes put together and we'll see why in her issue.  Back in the present, Pinkie is distraught that the story ends there,  Cadance suggests that they get some more tea and let's the Pink one know that is only where the story begins as we get to hear her part, next.  Excuse me but ....












You might have noticed that I'm a just little excited about that comic.  And well,   it's CADANCE,  HOW CAN I BE EXCITED?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  I get talk to about Cadance, I get talk about Cadance, I get to talk about Cadance. Sorry, I'm  just a really BIG fan of Cadance.  Getting back to Shining Armor's issue,  this was a fun set up and a good outline of what to expect.  It was sweet and silly but endearing toward him as well. You wanted to see him succeed and does he, if you saw A Canterlot Wedding, you know the answer but the fun is in watching how it plays out.





Characters


Shining Armor




















As I said above, Shining Armor was a lot of fun to watch and you really wanted him to succeed and get the girl in the end, especially with how many failures he had.  He never gave up and kept on trucking.  Even when the school laughed in his face and called him a dork and a loser, wonder how they feel now that is former dork/nerd is married to a princess and the head of the Royal Guards.  Okay,  I'm sorry, I like Shining Armor but I just can't buy him as a nerd.  I don't know the story is fun and all and I guess maybe and they I'm not trying to be nerd elitist and say that only certain people can be nerds but maybe it's just because the show has given us so little about him.  I mean I always pictured Shining being the jock back in his youthful days.  Having said that,  I do like him this story and he is fun as a nerd, even if it is hard for me to accept.



Supporting Characters


Gaffer, 8-Bit,  and Poindexter





















I really like Shining Armor's friends.  They really came to him and tried everything that they could to help him win the heart of Cadance.   Also, this comic arc seems to like to put Poindexter in dresses as we see here and we will see again.  And honestly, he stole the show with the best lines but Gaffer probably gets one of the best moments that sums how haters of Shining and my beloved Cadance feel about them and I feel like it was Katie Cook pointing it out and going "Yeah and..."















Cadance






















Sad to say, that Cadance really didn't get much to as she was just the object of Shining Armor's affection in Pt. 1 but that'll change  in Pt. 2. Squee! 


Antagonist


Buck Withers














Buck really didn't bring anything to the new story other then to be your typical '80s love movie bully.  And seeing as I haven't see that many '80s love films,  I don't know how well he measures up.  He kinda reminds me of Biff Tannen from Back to The Future but smarter.  And in the end, all he really is, is just an obstacle that Shining Armor has to overcome before he can win the heart of his beloved.  Oh, and hi Sibsy/ Wild Fire.



My Thoughts on This Issue


Seeing as we are not done and still have the second issue to look at, I'll only cover my thoughts on this issue and give My Final Thoughts during that review.  This comic was enjoyable and it was a good set up for what is to come next.  Shining Armor,  even with my nerd complaint was extremely likable and just a joy to read  about here.  Join me tomorrow as I take a look at Pt. 2 of

Neigh Anything: Presentable In Periwinkle

 

No comments:

Post a Comment