Gander

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Trotting Towards Nightmare Night: Top 6 Creepiest Moments of MLP







Hello & welcome back  to Trotting Towards Nightmare Night.  Today, we  will taking a look at some of the creepiest moments from the show in my opinion.  Now  I understand that everyone'll agree but these are my choices.  I'll admit that some of these are odd choices.  With that out of the way, let's begin. 



6.  The Headless Horse - Sleepless In Ponyville






Go figure,  when my favorite filly/CMC gets her first solo episode, it deals with her facing her fears and Scootaloo is having bad nightmares because of the ghost stories that her "eventual" big sister, Rainbow Dash is telling and one of them is the tale of the Headless Horse.   Y'know, this may not seem creepy at first but it's a horse without a head and I think the animators did a good job on the creepy factor with this one.  It's simple but effective.



5. The Eyes Watching Fluttershy - Hurricane Fluttershy



Now, this one right here isn't one I didn't really pick up on until I I saw this image on the MLP Wiki but yeah, this is a wee bit creepy.   Here we have Fluttershy trying to fly and remembering everyone at flight camp laughing at her and seeing the eyes of those ponies.  It was a "Whoa" moment seeing all of these eyes looking down at her works great as a creepy moment because it is a great visual of Fluttershy's fears and this moment with all of the eyes staring down on her makes this scene feel claustrophobic. 



4.  Twilight Turned To Stone By The Cockatrice - Stare Master







I have gone on about this one in the past and it still stands that is easily one of the creepiest things that the show has ever done.  I mean, here we have Fluttershy finding Twilight but she had been turned into stone and yeah, it was done off screen but I actually think not showing us what happened makes this scene more effective as for people who watch it for the first time may be taken aback to see one of the main characters basically helpless and  knowing how powerful Twilight is,  I have to wonder how the cockatrice was able to get the best of her.  That is not a hit on this moment but rather an observation.



3.  King Sombra's Door  - The Crystal Empire Pt. 2






Fun Fact: This was one of the first episodes that I watched and actively seeked out as Pt. 1 of The Crystal Empire was On Demand when I watched it by Pt. 2 was not.   Verizon FIOS, gotta love 'em sometimes.  And when I first watched this episode,  I was not aware of the relationship between Celestia and Twilight but even then the moment of  seeing Twilight being told that she had failed was heartbreaking, even for someone who did not know the full extent.  This one is creepy in how it messes with the protagonist's mind.  I can already tell you that if I ever do a Saddest Moments List, this'll more then likely be # 1 and moreso for what Spike saw.  The idea of Twilight not needing him anymore and sending him away. You see that's the creepy thing about this moment,  the door  plays with the minds of the ponies and dragons that make them see their worst fears.  A sense of loneliness and abandonment as we saw with Spike and with Twilight, the fear of failure.  The one thing that she is cared of more then anything in the world is failing Princess Celestia. 



2.  The Ending Scene of A Canterlot Wedding Pt. 1




There is no other way of labeling this moment.  Twilight down on her luck as everyone had turned against her because she was the only that saw that Fake Cadance was evil.  And at the end of the Pt. 1,  Twilight  had lost everything and was  down and out.  She was right all along but it looked as though The Changeling Queen disguised as Cadance had  looked as though she won.  And there are three things that made this scene work, first the line.




Twilight Sparkle: I'm sorry!

Princess Cadance: [evil tone] You will be.



Fake Cadance's eyes during this moment can shivers down my spine







And most of all, the green flames that engulfed Twilight. That was just plain creepy.



1.   Pinkie's Mental Breakdown - Party of One





When I did my Happy Birthday Pinkie Pie list,  I deliberately left this moment as I felt it was too obvious and also  I didn't want a moment like this one my list as I wanted more happy moments.  This isn't one of those.   This moment in the episode comes after Pinkie thinks that the girls don't want to be her friends anymore and she goes back home to Sugarcube Corner and puts on a party with a rock, bucket of turnips, and lint.  It's weird even for Pinkie. And she starts talking about she doesn't need her friends anymore.  What makes this scene so creepy?    First, that this could happen to Pinkie, the most extroverted pony in all of Ponyville could be led to feel this way.  That's realistic.  This could happen to anyone and  the imagery in this moment too as it takes out as Pinkie's bedroom and splashes of colors.   And the biggest thing is that in this moment,  Pinkie doesn't look like Pinkie here because she isn't Pinkie but rather she reverted back to Pinkamena,  who she was before she discovered her cutie mark.  The biggest difference between the two is the hair,  Pinkie's hair is big poofy and fun whereas Pinkamena's is flat, straight, and dull.   What some people don't get about the hair is that Pinkie's hair will only go flat, when she's really upset and not just upset over any little thing.   It has to be a big deal such as in this case, thinking that her friends abandoned her.  Also,  her eyes are creeping me out here.   That's  just it,  she's NOT Pinkie in this moment.  She snapped.  And also let's not forget this inspired Cupcakes.  Ewe!  The less said about that, the better.  



There you have it, my Top 6 Creepiest Moments of MLP.  What are some creepy moments that you can think of?  Join me next week, as I take a look at the episode where Nightmare Night was first introduced as I take a look at...


Luna Eclipsed




No comments:

Post a Comment