Gander

Monday, November 25, 2013

Trotting Through The Snow: Hearth's Warming Eve



Hello  & welcome to Trotting Through The Snow.  My special Christmas edition of Trotting Through Life.  I must admit that this episode holds a special place in my heart as this was the episode that I first watched.  I can still remember it.  It was one year ago and I was putting up Christmas decorations around the house and watching Demo Reel.  I had to turn it off because it was just so bad and then I turned on the TV, just looking for anything Christmas related and I came across this episode.  My reaction at first was "Why would I watch My Little Pony?  But it is Christmas themed".    It  was the fact that it was a Christmas episode that won me over and by the end of this episode, I was ready to  watch more episodes.  With that out of the way, let's begin.


Episode Title


Hearth's Warming Eve

At first glance,  this title may seem unimportant but as  the episode goes on, we learn that this is actually  the MLP equivalent of Christmas.


The Plot

We start the episode off as we see the girls arrive on the Friendship Express to Canterlot as they were hoof chosen by Celestia to put on this year's Hearth's Warming Even Pageant.












Okay,  I love Rarity's Christmas Tree, Hearth's Warming Tree Hat.  That is so something I would wear. We later see the girls walking through Canterlot as they play a game of "I Spy",  where best pegasus filly, Scootaloo makes a cameo in a reference to a Christmas classic film, I can't stand.















Later on, we see the girls backstage getting ready to put on the pageant,  where we see the different ways, the ponies are reacting such as my girly,  Fluttershy suffering from stage fright, whereas second best pony, Miss Rarity is ready to bask in the spotlight and Dashie thinks that the show should be all about her.  After Rarity asks Applejack to close a window,  AJ chides Dashie about the true meaning of the play. Spike comes in and informs the girls that the play is about to start.  Thus concluding the argument and the window closes on it's own.















I hope you enjoyed seeing the Mane 6 because, this is the last time until the end of the episode, we will see them as their show characters.  Really,  this opening is best looked at as being a prologue to the actual story. And seeing as the episode is broken up into three acts,  like a play. That is how, I'll be breaking up the review.


Act I


The play then begins as Spike narrates and tells both the audience in attendance of the history  of how, the ponies were divided into three tribes,  and did not get along.  Earth Ponies, who grew food, and the Pegasi, who demanded food for payment for providing weather as did the unicorns for magically raising the sun and moon.   (This takes place before the time of Celestia and Luna's reign).   The three tribes could've cared less what happened to one another.  This culminates in a giant blizzard. Because of the goings on, the three tribe leaders decide to meet and hold a meeting and this is where we are introduced to the leaders,  Commander Hurricane (Rainbow Dash),  Princess Platinum (Rarity) and Chancellor Puddinghead.  The meeting goes about as well as meeting can with three leaders that despise each other.   Hmm,  that sounds familiar.














This meeting was rather intense and you  could honestly feel the hatred that these three had for one another.  It honestly seemed as though, there was nothing that these three could agree upon and that was the case.   We later see each of the three leaders return to their second in command's explaining that the meeting went poorly because the other two leaders refused to cooperate.   We are then introduced to the second-in-commands, Smart Cookie (Applejack),  Private Pansy (Fluttershy) and Clover The Clever (Twilight Sparkle).




After the questioning,  the three leaders decide that that they need to head out and find a new land.  Thus, closing out Act I. 






Act  II


Our three leaders set off to find their land and we see them  trying their different ways to find land.  Starting with Hurricane and Pansy flying through clouds.





Princess Platinum and Clover start travelling through a forest and in true spoiled princess fashion,  she whines about walking for only five minutes.  And then they come across a stream and Princess Platinum says that she will not lower herself to the standards of the other tribes but she has no problem with Clover lowering herself.





I'm sorry but see Platinum ride Clover made me think of this.





Ahem, back to the episode proper.   Meanwhile,  Puddinghead and Smart Cookie travelling upon a gem encrusted mountain  (someone tell Miss Rarity, where she can find gems).  They had been walking in circles because Puddinghead holes in the map, so that she could see and keep talking.  Because, as Puddinghead said, we wouldn't want her to stop talking.




In a stroke of reverse psychology,  Smart Cookie convinces the Chancellor that she should let Smart Cookie handle the map and unsurprisingly, it works. We later see each leader declare their new land and name it,     Commander Hurricane declares her new land, Pegasopolis,  Princess Platinum names her land,  Unicornia, and at first,  Puddinghead names her land,  Dirtville but Smart Cookie suggest Earth and Puddinghead takes the credit for it.  The three leaders, then discover that their new lands are all within walking distance of one another. That does not bode well.





Also,  according to the MLP Wiki,  Unicornia was land in a G3  special titled  The Runaway Rainbow.





UH..................... I think Rainbow Dash has the perfect reaction to this




Now, we can put that girly girly girly girl thing behind us as we get back to the good stuff.   Arguments ensue about who has rights to the land.  Chancellor Puddinghead throws a snowball at Princess Platinum.  Just as they realize that the blizzard has returned.  Thus closing out the second act.





Act III



Act III  opens up with all the ponies escaping the blizzard inside a cave but alas the quarreling between the three leaders continues as they argue, who gets what part of the cave. Due to the constant arguing, creatures known as windigos are causing an ice blizzard and it causes each of the three leaders to freeze.  





The three advisers keep on good terms as they are about to be frozen and admit that they do not hate one another.  They keep warm and keep in good spirits by singing songs.  This is after Clover identifies the creatures as windigos because her mentor,  Star Swirl The Bearded taught her about them.   The songs that they sing would later go on to become the traditional  winter carols that the citizens of Equestira sing during Hearth's Warming. 







All of the ponies come together and rejoice in harmony as the leaders are defrosted and they declare their new land, Equestira.    




Yeah,  don't ask me why,  the flag has two alicorns on it.  The play ends with the ponies singing The Hearth Carol.



And thus that closes out the play.




Epilogue



Backstage after the play is completed, Twilight Sparkle suggests that Princess Celestia chose the Mane 6 to put on the play as they exemplify what being a good friend, truly is. They notice that the window from the prologue is still open  (Not actually the case but the girls don't know that)  and the resume their argument about who should close it.  However, they hear the sound of a windigo and Dashie volunteers to close the window. And the episode ends as we get a shot of Canterlot with the Fire of Friendship (what Clover The Clever used to fight off the windigos) in the night sky.   







This episode holds a special place in my heart.  Being the very first MLP episode, that I watched and liked. This may not be my favorite episode of season 2  (That honor goes to Sweet and Elite) but it is the episode that made me interested in the show.



Characters


Now,  before we get to the characters,  I'll be honest and admit that  I do have one complaint.



Narration


Spike  voiced by Cathy Wessluck 



Spike was hilarious as the narrator putting on his best fake British accent.  Another thing,  I have to say that I loved about this episode was the fact that this episode played with the fact that this episode was a show within a show story.  As because what the viewing audience saw was not what the ponies saw.  The ponies just saw the stage,  the viewing audience actually saw something different.





I loved this touch because it was able to transport the audience to the time, the story actually takes place.






Main Characters


Chancellor Puddinghead (Pinkie Pie) voiced by Andrea Libman



One of my issues with the episode is that the characters being portrayed by the Mane 6 just felt like they were the characters from the show proper and had no discerning features of their own.  That's not entirely true for all of them but with Chancellor Puddinghead, there was no difference between Puddinghead and Pinkie Pie.


Commander Hurricane  (Rainbow Dash) voiced by Ashleigh Ball




Dash's portrayal of Commander Hurricane came across as a overtly militaristic leader that just wanted to use fighting to solve all of the problems.  This does kinda seem like Rainbow Dash in simplistic terms of how,  she had been accused  of acting first before thinking.


Princess Platinum  (Rarity) voiced by Tabitha St. Germain 



In many respects,   I view Princess Platinum as being what  Rarity detractors like to call out one of my top three ponies for being: spoiled and shallow.   I view as being what Miss Rarity could've become, if she didn't have her friends to keep her in check.  




Supporting Characters


Clover The Clever (Twilight Sparkle) voiced by Tara Strong




Clover was easily one of the most important ponies, when it comes to defeating the windigos and in essence setting up Equestira as she was the one that was able to ward them off with her magic.  Also,  I do love the tie in, with Star Swirl being her mentor.




Smart Cookie (Applejack)  also voiced by Ashleigh Ball 




I have to be honest and say that I actually liked Smart Cookie better then AJ in part because she played so well off of Chancellor Puddinghead being the straight pony to the wacky antics and came across as being snarky.  Which I loved.


Private Pansy (Fluttershy)  also voiced by Andrea Libman




Pansy was just Fluttershy and really out of the three advisers, she had the least to do.  Bummer but ah well.  


Music


The Heart Carol (A Circle of Friends)





Just like the rest of this episode,  I like this song and it is very cheerful and it feels me with the Christmas spirit.   Also  according to the MLP Wiki,  show composer Daniel Ingram views this little diddy as the real Brony anthem.  Yeah, I can see that.





My Final Thoughts


Even with the minor gripes I have,  I cannot hate this episode at all.  I love this episode very much.  This episode holds a special place in my heart being the first episode that got me into the show.  This wasn't the episode that made me a fan but it is the one that set me down the path to becoming a fan and for that I am grateful.  Thinking of this episode just puts a big smile on my face.  This was my first episode and nothing can ever replace that feeling. Join me next time as I take a look at one of the mirco comics.  Who's in the spotlight?  Applejack.... oh, I'll try to be fair. 










No comments:

Post a Comment