Gander

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Trotting Through The Snow: It's A Pony Kind of Christmas





Hello & welcome back to Trotting Through The Snow celebration as we celebrate Hearth's Warming.  Or at least that is the MLP holiday, yet the new album released for the holidays is a Christmas album and those are the ponies. Putting that aside, I dig these songs and Daniel Ingram took a year working on them to fit each of the Mane Six just right. With that out of the way, let's begin.



It's A Pony Kind of Christmas - Mane Six








We start with the title song from the Christmas album and well, it's not bad and it's a fun way to get the holiday started for sure and while I love hearing all of the Mane Six sing together, it really does nothing for me.  It's not bad but I dunno, it just doesn't stick with me.


Jingle Bells - Rainbow Dash








Now, this is more like it and I will say that the songs for chosen for each pony fit to a tee.  Something else to take notice is that Daniel Ingram reworked the songs to reflect the character that was singing it here such as here making Jingle Bells high adrenaline to match the rush of Rainbow Dash and hearing here sing about  going sledding at fast speed with her friends is awesome.  Though this does raise a question, Dashie mentions Santa.  So,  is there an MLP equivalent of Santa in Equestira.  I've seen  plenty of stories about a Santa Hoof/Hooves but there has never been a canonical Santa in the show or comics.  So, who knows but I still really like this song.


Deck The Halls -  Rarity 


  




We go from a high octane song to a more dignified and classy song as second best Pony sings Deck The Halls. And man, is it pretty. Rarity just fits this song to a tee.  I never knew that I wanted Rarity singing a Christmas song until I heard this and I can't enough of it.  Sure, it's not as good as show songs but man, it may be one of my favorite Rarity songs.   I think I could listen to this one all day and night and never tire of it.



We Wish You A Merry Christmas - Twilight Sparkle






This one makes me laugh because did Daniel Ingram really change the song and it now reflects Twilight's tendencies to be a perfectionist and I could so see her doing something like this during the holidays as to make sure that everything is in place.  Though, it becomes very calm and joyful towards the end as Twilight realizes to put the craziness aside for the season and just enjoy it for what it is.


Silent Night - Fluttershy







Fluttershy singing Silent Night is brilliant.  Now, when this album first came out last month, I did seem some people that were not upset but as confused to the fact that Daniel Ingram removed the religious elements from this song.  And well,  I won't lie and say that I don't understand that as I do because Silent Night is commonly thought as a religious song but I've also seen it used as a lullaby and if it can be used in a Pampers commercial, I don't see why Fluttershy can't sing a different take on this song.  Like with most of these songs, it's best to look at them as brand new takes on these classics and perhaps in the case of Flutters' Silent Night, a song that was inspired but the beloved song that shares it's name  but is it's own song.  And in that regard, I love this song.  It's easily one of my favorites on here, Fluttershy singing this is just so pretty and it just works so well.   Hearing Flutters sing Silent Night is just so pleasing to the ears.




Twelve Days of Christmas - Pinkie Pie







Sorry about this but for some reason, Hasbro didn't upload this song to their Hasbro Studio Shorts YouTube Page.  When I first heard Pinkie's take on Twelve Days of Christmas, I was falling out of my chair laughing.  I know a lot of people don't like this song and I get that but I dunno, give me characters that I like singing this song, I find it more tolerable and even moreso, when you change the gifts to reflect their personalities. This song is so silly and so funny and I just love it.  It's just so fun and I couldn't picture anyone else but the Pink Party Pony singing this song.  It's probably the best fun song on here.




Last Year I Got For Christmas - Pop Fly








The big question that a lot of Bronies had, when we first heard this song was, who is Pop Fly?  The big theory right now is that he's Fluttershy's brother as we are due to meet him in the show next season. And if that's the case, Flutters is going to have her hands full with this little rascal.  This song is funny and cute as it's a good way to show how to change one's act to be better. I recall seeing somewhere that someone said that this would've been a great song for Diamond Tiara to sing pre-redemption. Maybe but you'd have to work it to fit here as I don't see her doing some of the actions that were described in this song but who knows.




Jolly Ol' St. Nick - Spike







Why did it take this long for Spike to get a song?  Again, I never knew that I wanted a Spike song but after hearing this, why hasn't he had a song before. And that song from Equestira Games doesn't count.  This is awesome, a jazzy take on Jolly Ol' St. Nick fits the baby dragon wonderfully.  This is so good.



Days Gone By (Auld Lang Syne) - Applejack







Applejack has my favorite song on this album. Let me repeat that, AJ has my favorite song. Yeah, I was just as surprised as you guys might be.  But this number really touched me and blew me away as I was surprised that they went on there on a Christmas album for kids.  On the surface,  this song may appear to just be for those that can't spend Christmas with their loved ones but knowing that the Apple parents are no longer with their family, just adds a whole lot of weight to this number and makes it seem all the more somber as Applejack seems to be telling kids that may have lost their parents like she did, that they even though they are no longer with them, they will be together again and you can honor their memory by celebrating the holiday and not being sad that they aren't with you.  Excuse me but I think I feel a tear coming on.



The Heart Carol (Extended Version) - Phoenix Chamber Choir





And we end the look at this album with extended take on what Daniel Ingram considers to be the Brony Anthem.  It's nice to have a official release of this song and have it extended out to full length and the fact that we are getting people to cover songs from the show on the album releases now really says something. I mean the last album release had a mash-up of Winter Wrap-Up and A True True Friend all sung by Brony musicians.  And the fact that Daniel Ingram reached out to a choir to cover this song really added something extra special to it.  Giving it a sense of weight and gravitas.  It makes it the perfect song to close out on.


There you have it, my look at It's A Pony Kind of Christmas. I hope that you've enjoyed this and I'll see you when I get back from my Christmas vacation. Until then, Merry Christmas.








No comments:

Post a Comment